I'm a letter carrier in Texas, and yes I've been bitten by dogs a few times, usually by dogs I didn't see or didn't expect to bite me. Nothing serious though. The route I'm on now is in a pretty nice area, with most dogs fenced in, and I rarely carry the dog spray with me. I usually can ward off a loose dog by picking up a rock, or acting like I'm picking up a rock. There is one house however, where I've had to spray this bulldog a couple of times. The house is on the top of a hill, kind of isolated, and the owners have this little bitch, Leslie, that always comes out and barks and tries to bite me. I used to ignore Leslie until I found out the hard way she could reach over the top of my high top work shoes. Hey, she's got sharp teeth, so now I usually just stick out my foot in her face. Well for the last year the bulldog would just lay there, barely bothering to look up when Leslie starts after me. Not any more. A few weeks ago the bulldog started barking and coming over to me when Leslie came and I finally had to spray the dog a couple of times to teach it some respect. I've never sprayed Leslie, and never would, she's too little, but I have shot her with a rubber band a couple of times, which kept her away for awhile. Well yesterday, I had a strong impression to bring the dog spray, and it's a good thing I did. It went down like this:
I walked toward the mailbox, and the bulldog was laying by the front door about 20 feet away, Leslie was nowhere to be seen. I walked up and put the mail in the box, with the dog spray in my left hand and a couple of rubber bands on my wrist. Leslie always waits until I put the mail in the box before she starts her thing, which she did, circling behind me while I held my foot in her face. Meanwhile, I was focused on the bulldog, who was charging toward me full speed ahead, no hesitation at all. I sprayed the bulldog full on in the face, who tried to stop so fast she slid on the ground. Then, suddenly, this big grey hound came out of nowhere, mouth full of angry teeth coming at me. The dog, which I have never seen before, was on me so fast that if I hadn't of had the dog spray already in my hand I would have been toast. As it was, a mouth and face full of hot sauce stopped the big hound short, and I won't go to that mailbox without the spray ready for a long time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment